Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Mysterious Lake Wylie Coyote


Around the Allison Creek Peninsula this summer, the big hub-bub was all about the mysterious Coyote/fox critter that suddenly appeared. Actually, I think there were several.
Some described a beast that had the head of a werewolf, was larger than a fox, and had a pom pom on its tail.
Others described a small skinny creature, pom pom tail, with no apparent fear of humans. It did seem to be quite hungry, and enjoyed fresh fruit and vegetables. Several of us Googled, and identified the animal as either a coyote or a Sampson fox. Perhaps it was a mix of breeds, a Foxote.
As I eagerly awaited my first homegrown tomato, ripening on the vine, you can imagine my disappointment when the almost ripe fruit just vanished one morning. I accused my wife, then my neighbor, of absconding with the tomato. A couple of weeks later, I witnessed the Foxote munching on some apples that had fallen out of one of my trees. Then, I saw it stretching on its hind legs, upright, eating figs off of my neighbor's tree. The tomato mystery was solved.
Even after all that eating, the Foxote was still skinny. It would trot through our yards, in broad daylight, and then disappear into the woods. Around the first of September, the creature disappeared as suddenly as he appeared. There have been no recent sightings. Of course, the tomatoes are long gone.
For more blogs and stories about Lake Wylie living and Lake Wylie real estate, visit my website, The Lake Wylie Man.

No comments: